Seeing your dentist allows you to have your teeth professionally cleaned and your mouth inspected to spot problems that you may not be aware of because you can’t see or feel them. Some oral issues don’t make themselves known until they are already advanced. This is true for gum disease, cavities, and even oral cancer. Your six-month checkups help keep your smile problem-free.
Still, the mouth is home to millions of oral bacteria that lead to plaque, you need to take good care of it in between dental cleanings. Brush and floss every day to prevent plaque buildup and lead to cavities. As plaque hardens into tartar, your dentist will need to remove it from the gumline.
Even though you see your dentist routinely, there may be an occasion to be seen sooner if a problem crops up. Here are some of the reasons why you might call your dentist before your scheduled visit:
- Feeling pain or finding your face, neck or mouth swelling.
- Gums that feel inflamed or bleed.
- Your dentures not fitting properly, problems with a crown, implant, or filling.
- Discovering you have diabetes, HIV, an eating disorder, or heart disease.
- Learning that you are pregnant, which can lead to oral issues thanks to hormonal imbalances and acid in the mouth.
- Having difficulty chewing and swallowing your food.
- Persistent thirst or dry mouth, which are not normal.
- Pain in the jaws or jaw joints when you wake up, chew, or open and close your mouth.
- Sores in the mouth that don’t disappear after a couple of weeks.
If you need help with your smile in Jupiter, Florida, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our Gloria Barredo, DMD team at 561-741-8008. Dr. Gloria Barredo is pleased to help you with all of your oral care needs.